Job Opening: Multimedia Instructor at Pierce College

Located on about 400 acres in the West San Fernando Valley, Pierce College combines state-of-the-art technology and learning with the picturesque beauty of its rolling hills. Founded in 1947, Pierce College is a two-year public institution with more than 100 disciplines being taught to more than 19,000 students each semester and enjoys one of the highest transfer performances in Southern California. Seen as a leader statewide and nationally, Pierce College is now seeking to expand its outstanding faculty by offering a tenure track Multimedia Instructor position in the Media Arts Department starting with the Fall 2008 semester.

MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Pierce College is looking for a highly creative individual with multimedia experience to teach multimedia classes in the Media Arts Department. The media arts department consists of 5 disciplines: Broadcasting, Cinema, Journalism, Photography and Public Relations. We are transitioning from traditional media to convergence. We are a small department which has traditionally been strong in print media. We would like this individual to help us grow the department with new ideas and classes and expand into multi-platform storytelling. The successful applicant will be a bridge between Media Arts and the other departments on campus that multimedia can include. They will be required to fulfill a 30-hour a week assignment which is divided between teaching and departmental duties. The teaching assignment may include day and night classes.

Department responsibilities include the following:

– Document knowledge and experience in multimedia journalism in online or broadcast mediums.
– Collaborate with journalism instructors in co-advising the online versions of both the weekly campus newspaper the Roundup and the campus magazine The BULL as both publications improve their on-line formats.
– Retain and motivate students by engaging them in the learning process using a variety of teaching methods, including the use of computers and other technologies to provide high-quality classroom instruction.
– Modify existing courses as necessary, and create new curriculum that emulates on-the-job proficiency required of multimedia professionals.
– Develop a recruitment and marketing plan designed to attract students who want to work in multimedia.
– Adapt curriculum and develop programs for special-needs students.
– Develop community bridges by planning and implementing education advisory committees to incorporate recommendations from these groups into the instructional program.
– Assess the need for equipment and educational materials; help formulate and submit appropriate grant applications and/or purchase requests.
– Meet with students during scheduled office hours and assist students during scheduled lab hours.
– Participate in department and campus meetings.
– Participate with department in addressing Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment Cycles.
– Participate in appropriate professional development activities, including accompanying student journalists to weekend conferences and competitions.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

Bachelor’s degree plus two years of documented full-time work experience as a multimedia professional OR an Associate of Art’s degree plus six years of documented full-time professional multimedia work OR the equivalent from an accredited institution.

A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college faculty, staff and students.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS

– A master’s degree in multimedia, new media, broadcasting, photography, journalism, communications, or visual communication.
– An excellent academic record that indicates a strong foundation in teaching discipline.
– A vision for multi-platform storytelling.
– Experience in production of content for new media including some of these areas: on-line writing, design and publication, podcasting, digital video production and editing, audio production and editing.
– Knowledge of current multimedia software used in the industry such as final cut pro, audio editing software and flash.
– Familiarity with web based design and content delivery, knowledge of html would be helpful.
– Experience in journalism, broadcasting, photography, design, documentary filmmaking or public relations.
– Recent teaching and publication advising experience at the community college level.
– Willingness to accept additional duties with the department and college beyond the teaching assignment.
– A learner-centered focus: able to inspire, motivate and empower students to succeed.
– An ability to work effectively with computers and other forms of advanced technology utilized in providing high-quality classroom instruction.
– An ability to communicate positively with students, classified staff and faculty and administration.

SALARY AND BENEFITS: The starting salary ranges from $47,280 to $73,610 for the 10 month academic year, depending on experience and professional preparation. An excellent benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental and life insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Candidates who wish to be considered must file an LACCD Application for Academic Position and Diversity Survey (http://www.piercecollege.edu/campusjobs_faculty.asp ); a letter of interest (describing your interest in the position; resume; copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required only at time of hire); and three letters of reference sent under separate cover directly to the college by the referee.

Employment is contingent upon verification of qualifications. Position is contingent upon available funding. Pierce College reserves the right to modify and/or withdraw this position at any time.

Notification regarding advancement in the selection process will be provided to each applicant. Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation in the selection/interview process with at least three business days prior notice. Documentation of the need for accommodation may be requested.

The complete application package must be received by
May 12, 2008 to be considered. [Application materials may not be submitted by facsimile or email.]

Send completed application to:

Pierce College
Human Resources – Attn. Mary Fellows
Multimedia Faculty Position
6201 Winnetka Ave.
Woodland Hills CA 91371-0001

Pierce College is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer